Educated Stars of Tomorrow was founded by Willie Burton, former NBA athlete and graduate of the University of Minnesota, where he played on the Golden Gophers 1989 Sweet Sixteen and 1990 Elite Eight championship Teams. These accomplishments followed his stand out career at St. Martin De Porres high school in Detroit Michigan.
Mr. Burton founded Educated Stars of Tomorrow in 2011. Its focus is to support student athletes throughout the range of their athletic careers to achieve their true talents on and off the field. Highlight achievements for ESOT in 2013 include:
- Assembling a team of professionals who are knowledgeable in the fields of education, web based learning, strength and conditioning training, sports psychology, academics, and coaching, and who have real world experience with the challenges and opportunities of being a student athlete.
- Completing Stage 1 development of Excel U, a health and wellness promotion program for male and female student athletes
- Partnering with the University of Minnesota to design an evaluation study of Excel U
ESOT has some ambitious goals for 2014. These include:
- Securing funding to launch a pilot study of Excel U among 500 male and female student athletes in the Detroit Public Schools.
- Developing resources and workshops to guide the parents and care givers of student athletes in their role to promote wellness and academic achievement.
- Training coaches and other youth and recreation workers in their role as health and wellness educators
- Collaboration with schools and community organizations to expand the reach of Excel U
- Launching a social learning platform and mobile app for the on line delivery of Excel U to coaches and student athletes.
- Publishing research findings on the Excel U project